Saturday, February 13, 2010

My future career

My writing for publications teacher once questioned me what my ideal future career would be and I immediately replied 'a magazine editor.' 'Great' she said, 'you have something to write about.

I sit on my bed staring at my large collection of magazines. From ‘Time’ to ‘Vogue,’ magazines have been and still are a huge part of my life. However, it was only until I reached high school when that I suddenly realized I could someday become a part of the evolutionary process of producing magazines. With years of difficult but worthwhile training, I may be competent enough to become a magazine editor in chief. For my works to someday be rewarded on the glowing faces of women everywhere while reading my weekly creations will be a dream come true.


Magazines are primarily produced to provide entertainment for everyday women who want to get a glimpse of the luxurious life. As glamorous as it sounds to be working alongside many notable designers, photographers and actors who are featured in the magazine, it takes many years of hard work to obtain a stable job in the magazine industry. The top position in the magazine world is credited as ‘The magazine editor in chief.’ The magazine editor in chief certifies that the magazine is completed before the deadline of release or else the company will face a deficit. They make sure all of the employees are correctly doing their jobs and that the magazine content is thoroughly up to date. They acquire the most publicity, he or she represents the company during public events and appearances. The magazine editor in chief is able to express their opinions on every aspect of the magazine.

In order to pursue a job as a magazine editor in chief, a degree in journalism or media studies in a qualifying university is essential. Magazine publishers select the most proficient applicant for the job, these people usually have previously worked as assistants in other magazine companies and have a good understanding of the industry. The applicant’s background, previous work experience, skills and qualifications are thoroughly looked upon before they are selected for the job. The aspirant is then given a few weeks trial before they are allocated to full control of the staff.

Successful names in the magazine world such as GQ, Marie Claire, Elle and Vogue are all popular in providing entertainment to women all around the world. The magazine editor in chief is very important to the success of a magazine company because they make all the important decisions and deal with the losses. With adept writing abilities, reading competences and people skills, a magazine editor in chief must skilfully advertise the magazine brand so that women are interested in buying it. A magazine company cannot possibly run smoothly with out the guidance of an outspoken and organised magazine editor in chief.

I lie on my bed daydreaming about how wonderful it will be to someday to become a magazine editor in chief. As I study all the benefits of the job, I can also see all the years of technical training and hard work that I will also have to endure. Conversely, it won’t be as easy or glamorous as I have imagined, but I am still willing to persevere with the purpose of achieving my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment