Sunday, December 27, 2009

Don't compromise your life away

A wise woman once told me; 'if you want to succeed, you must be firm, never compromise for the sake of others, only for yourself.' At first I declared her statement to be narcissitic. But now, as I remember all of the goals I have never achieved simply because I put my heart before my mind, I realize I have to change if I want to be happy.

Small things demonstrate who you are as a person. I spent two whole years in a friendship group I felt uncomfortable in. One of my friends encompassed all of the qualities to be successful, therefore, I felt it was necessary to incessantly please her. My imprudent decision to stay in the group made my life difficult. I was always living in someone else's shadow. I stopped speaking my mind and became a push over because I never objected to my friend's insults and criticisms. She felt it was her prerogative to criticize me. One day, finally, I had enough.

Despite my decision to leave the group, I still complied to other people's commands. Even at home, I accepted without question to all of my dad's bashful comments. I had never learnt how to retaliate, how to hold my family together through firmess. My dad is often an unreasonable man, my mum has been compromising her whole life. In spite of being a successful university lecturer, my mother has never discovered how to be a happy person. Her biggest flaw is her softness.

I am now cognizant of what I want and the person I want to be. This article is the last piece of my old self. I want to be happy, I won't compromise my life away.

And you shouldn't have to either.

No comments:

Post a Comment