Friday, January 1, 2010

All you need is love...?

Happy New Year Everyone! Although the year 2009 has held many wonderful memories of excitement, comfort, happiness and exhaustion from all our of exams, I'm sure 2010 will be just as exciting! For all of the teenagers who are going back to school very shortly, we may look forward to another year of back-aching study! But hey, it's a new year, new plans, new events, new goals, same old us.

Firstly, the possibility of eternal love is ludicrous. Relationships fall apart for the most ridiculous of reasons. Through watching the movie Moulin Rouge, I have picked out many minor errors from both of the main characters. For example, with Christian in the film I did not relish of his reasonably short height. If I were Satine, I would have dumped him without a second thought. This is just an exemplar to prove that love in reality breaks down due to the silliest of vindications.

Can you really live on wholly love? Do you really expect it to provide you with decent food and clothes to wear? Would you really give you life away to save the person you love, or is there more to life than blind love? Although the Duke in Moulin Rouge who also falls in love with Satine looks vastly unattractive in comparison to Christian, not only will he be able to feed me, dress me and keep me alive, he can make me into a star. A dashing young lover with absolutely nothing economically to offer me or a relatively repulsive Duke with bag-full of cash? Who will be worth my time in the long run?

In reality, Christian and Satines' love although strong, will not last forever. Satine, although beautiful at the present moment, old age will eventually hit her. As the song from Moulin Rouge goes: 'Men grow cold as girls grow old...' Yes men do grow cold as their spouses grow old because we all know men prefer young supple looking women. Unfortunately for all the beauties in this world not planning to go under the knife, time will gladly take a great toll on your appearance.

Moulin Rouge stays true to the actuality that love cannot save a person from death and fate alike. Love is abstract, it cannot heal or soothe the physical pain felt by an individual. Sure, it act as an demulcent for sentimental pains, but even then it can't mend a broken heart. Once a person has loved and lost, the mark carves itself onto their memory for the rest of their existence. No extent of love can cure a person of the pain experienced in their past. It might cover up the smell, but it can never fully eliminate the odour that lingers onto a person for life.

This article is due to my sudden cognizance of the great influence romantic films have on people. This is a wake up call to all of the women and girls out there waiting for their Prince Charmings or their Christians in the case of Moulin Rouge, there is no such thing as eternal love nor can love conquer all. We need to rely on ourselves and not on non-existent Mr Perfect. I love the movie Moulin Rouge because it does its job; it takes me on a transcendent journey far away from my everyday life. It pulls me into an experience I will probably never experience in person. In spite of writing this article, I do still someday want to fall in love just to see what it feels like, because love, as stated in Moulin Rouge is still 'Many a Splendid Things.'

No comments:

Post a Comment